Important Industry Terminology
In this article I cover some basic industry terms to help you better understand the world of Precast Concrete.
- GFRC – Glass-Fiber Reinforced Concrete. GFRC has become the industry standard as it adds a significant amount of PSI to the concrete and increases each piece’s overall longevity.
- UHPC – Ultra-High Preformance Concrete. This kind of concrete has a PSI so high that it is described as “steel-like” and can be used in areas that are accessible to the public and need to stand up to more wear and tear.
- PSI – Pound per Square Inch. PSI is a measurement of force that shows how much force one square inch of an object can take. One PSI = 6894 Pascals and .070 Atmospheres.
4. Wall Cap – A piece of precast concrete that is designed to provide a protective top layer for any wall structure and have a unique design to elevate the aesthetic value of the wall.
5. Pilaster Cap – Pilaster/Column Caps are similar to wall caps in that they provide an extra layer of protection for any wall and also add a pleasing accentuation to said wall.
6. Stair Tread – A stair tread is the horizontal concrete section of the stair that a person walks on.